How to adopt a child in Tampa Florida

By | July 19, 2017

Adopting a child in Tampa is governed under Florida law. It is possible for married couples as well as individuals to adopt a child in Tampa, provided that they are eligible for adoption.
To be eligible for adoption, individuals must be over 21 years of age and they should be mentally and financially sound. Also, individuals need to complete a training course and get a licensing study or home study conducted. This process takes about 6-8 months to complete, after which a child is placed in the custody of new parents. But, adoption is only finalized after the child spends 6 months without any problems in the new home.

In certain cases, the adoption process is much simpler. This happens if the prospective parents are related to the child being adopted. In such cases, there is no need to undergo training and the requirements for licensing and home study are greatly relaxed. All that prospective parents need to do is to file a petition Form 12.981 (b) (1) with detailed information. It is not necessary to obtain the consent of the child’s biological parents as the court allows adoption if it is in the child’s best interests. The process of adopting a stepchild also happens in this manner.

Regardless of the type of adoption, prospective parents need to seek the help of an adoption attorney or an adoption agency. Care agencies cover all aspects of adopting a child and they can greatly simplify the adoption process. However, unless an agency is community-based, it will charge certain fees for the adoption process.

Now, Tampa boasts of having a number of reputed and reliable adoption agencies spread out all across the city. Some of the most well-known adoption agencies in the area include:
– Heart of Adoptions
– New Life Village
– Children’s Board – Hillsborough
– Hillsborough Kids
– American Adoptions
– Heartfelt Adoptions and Surrogacy Services
– Children’s Board Heart Gallery of Tampa Bay
– One Church One Child

To adopt a child in Tampa, all that prospective parents need to do is get in touch with one of these agencies.